Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A little craft project I wanted to share.

Depending on how long you have been reading my blog you will have seen that last year I received a few Borderland's Cosplay masks which I gave to my fiance as a Christmas gift. Along with the masks I wanted to give him something that was unique and would protect his masks, but I couldn't find anything I liked so I decided to make my own. I've made jewelry in the past, I've done special effects makeup but I've never sanded and painted something so I was nervous about making something I enjoy how it turned out in the end though. This isn't really a guide or a review I just wanted to share a few photos of my project in hopes it will inspire me to create more!



It took me a while to find the perfect sized box, I originally wanted a pirate treasure chest shaped box but decided against it due to budget. After check out a few Micheal's stores I finally found the box I wanted at Hobby Lobby and it was on sale so I only paid $6 for the box can you say score! I then purchased Paint Primer, Red Spray paint, Black spray paint, thin foam blocks and an exact o knife from walmart and began the process.





I printed out the Borderlands logo on regular computer paper to use as a template since I knew my lines would be wobbly and cut it out with an Exact o knife. There were a few rough edges to the box so I used sandpaper to smooth them out, after removing the hinges the box was ready to be primed. The entire box inside and out received a layer of white paint primer and left to dry over night. Next I sprayed the insides red and the outsides black and yes I meant to get a little black on the inside I wanted it to be a little messy since Looters in Borderlands make everything from items they loot. After letting the paint dry on the insides and outside of the bottom of the chest along with the inside and sides of the top, I added an area of red to the top which is where the symbol would be located. I let this dry and placed my cut out over the designated spot keeping it in place with a little bit of scrapbooking sticky tape. I used black over the entire top covering the extra red from the symbol making sure to completely cover it then removed the paper symbol leaving behind Red where the paper was. I finished it off with a clear sealing coat.



I would say it took about three days of working on this after work to completely finish it, once it was painted I added the hinges back on cut out some foam to fit inside the box then cut out holes to fit the masks. Since one mask is larger than the other and had a mouth piece to be attacked the masks look slightly off as they both sit farther to the right side of the box, but once the mouth piece was added to the mask they fit perfectly. In total this project cost me about $25 worth of material and three days time, it also made a great gift my fiance loved. Store bought gifts might be easier to get and seem like the easy way out but if you really want to pack a punch with a gift I suggest trying out making something handmade next time you need a gift!

15 comments:

  1. The finished project looks great you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of Borderlands and really enjoyed this post it has given me some Christmas ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you did a great job. It looks very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! Wish I was even a BIT crafty! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this was cool and you are very creative. Me, I would make a huge mess. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Realy nice!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of work. It came out really nice, looks professional.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the finished project! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job! Very creative and an attractive final project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks really good and end up being a bargain right? I love to give gifts that make me do some stuff by myself as well.

    ReplyDelete